Friday, March 16, 2012

A Way of Life


1 Corinthians 12
29 Are we all apostles? Are we all prophets? Are we all teachers? Do we all have the power to do miracles? 30Do we all have the gift of healing? Do we all have the ability to speak in unknown languages? Do we all have the ability to interpret unknown languages? Of course not! 31 So you should earnestly desire the most helpful gifts.
   But now let me show you a way of life that is best of all.


Paul tells the church that everyone wasn't going to operate in the same gifts as everyone else.  Some were meant to do miracles, some were prophets, some would even have the gift of interpreting unknown languages.  He also encourages each of them to earnestly desire the most helpful gifts.  What I love is that after speaking of all of these amazing gifts, he goes on to say, "But now let me show you a way of life that is best of all."

1 Corinthians 13
Love Is the Greatest
 1 If I could speak all the languages of earth and of angels, but didn’t love others, I would only be a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I had the gift of prophecy, and if I understood all of God’s secret plans and possessed all knowledge, and if I had such faith that I could move mountains, but didn’t love others, I would be nothing. 3 If I gave everything I have to the poor and even sacrificed my body, I could boast about it; but if I didn’t love others, I would have gained nothing.  

In Paul's letter after referring  to these amazing gifts in the body of Christ, he makes certain that everyone clearly understands, that the greatest gifts mean nothing without love.  God's will for us is made plain; love people.  Love until it hurts, invest until you are bankrupt, cry, pray, and give, to see that others experience the love of God.

-We may sing, preach, and prophesy, but without love our voice will go unheard...

No comments:

Post a Comment