Monday, June 18, 2012

Daily Bread


Psalm 105:3-5

New Living Translation (NLT)
Exult in his holy name;
    rejoice, you who worship the Lord.
Search for the Lord and for his strength;
    continually seek him.

Remember the wonders he has performed,
    his miracles, and the rulings he has given,

The Lord is reminding me daily of the importance of "continually seeking him."  So many times we have so much going on around us that our times with the Lord seem to be moved to the back burner.  If we have time we may read or pray for a few minutes at the end of the day, if not we push it farther down the calendar until often times we go weeks without spending time in the word or in the presence of God.  I shared a thought a couple of weeks ago on Twitter that really stood out to me in reading through the Lord's prayer with my family.  Jesus said, "pray like this,"  and in that prayer model he instructed us to ask God for our "daily bread."  I am convinced more than ever that if I am going to stay near  the heart of God and stay in the middle of his plan for my life that I need to be searching for him and his strength continually.

In the body of Christ there are so many who are spiritually anemic because they are not being filled with the all-important presence of God.  In the same way our bodies begin to grow tired and deficient our spirits become weak when we fail to take in the proper "spiritual nutrition."  We need our daily bread in so many ways, we can't continue to grow and move forward if we are relying on yesterday's intake.

I know that we are busy, I know that we have schedules, but I also know how desperate we are as a people for the presence of Almighty God.  I think Bill Hybels says it best in this excerpt from "Too Busy Not to Pray."


“If you lower the ambient noise of your life and listen expectantly for those whispers of God, your ears will hear them. And when you follow their lead, your world will be rocked.”
― 
Bill Hybels

Let your world be rocked today by the all-consuming presence of God.  What you can accomplish when you daily relinquish control to him will be nothing short of miraculous.

No comments:

Post a Comment